Financial Disclosure Required for Divorce in California

To obtain a Judgment of divorce in California, financial disclosure must be completed. Roseville divorce attorney Christy M. Carlisle, explains for you more fully herein how to complete the disclosure process.

1. Documents that Comprise Disclosure

The documents that comprise disclosure in California, including Roseville and Sacramento areas, are as follows: (1) Schedule of Assets and Debts (FL 142); (2) Income and Expense Declaration (FL 150); (3) Declaration of Disclosure (FL 140); and (4) Declaration Regarding Service of Disclosure (FL 141). These documents can be obtained at your local courthouse or online at the California Judicial Council website.

2. Completing the Schedule of Assets and Debts

It is necessary to list out all assets and debts on the Schedule of Assets and Debts. It does not matter whether the assets/debts are assets/debts in your name or that you believe belong to you or to your spouse, all assets/debts that are known to you need to be listed. If an asset or debt was acquired by either party before marriage or after separation, that asset or debt may be separate property and should be noted as such in the column marked “sep” by placing an “H” for husband or “W” for wife. The listing of assets and debts is just that a listing, you are not providing information on how you want the assets and debts divided. It will also be necessary for you to gather and attach a copy of all deeds, car titles and/or registrations, and statements (bank, retirement accounts, credit cards, etc.) that correlate with the assets and debts that you have listed. This document does not get filed with the Court.

3. Completing the Income and Expense Declaration

Complete all sections on the Income and Expense Declaration and attach your last two pay stubs and previous year W-2 and/or 1099s. If you are self employed it will be necessary to attach your profit and loss statement and/or corporate returns. It is not always necessary to file this document with the Court depending on the local rules of your county, but to cover all bases you may want to file the Income and Expense Declaration with the Court and attach it as part of your disclosure as well. If you file the Income and Expense declaration with the Court, you will need a proof of service as well.

4. Completing the Declaration of Disclosure

Check all boxes on the front page. This document is your statement under penalty of perjury of the laws of the State of California that you have disclosed to the other party, all assets and debts known to exist at the time that you complete the disclosure documents. It further declares that you do not know of any financial opportunity being presented to the marital community estate. Date and sign.

5. Declaration Regarding Service of Disclosure

Mark the boxes for service of preliminary disclosure and indicate the manner in which you are serving the documents (ie. mail or personal service). Indicate the date that you served the disclosure and whom you served the disclosure on (ie. party or party’s attorney). Date and sign. It will be necessary to file this document with the Court. The filing of this document is critical because without this document being filed by each party, a judgment for dissolution will not be entered.

6. Waiver of Final Disclosure FL 144

Final disclosure is generally more comprehensive disclosure which indicates more in depth values and documentation. However, if both parties agree that preliminary disclosure was completed thoroughly and accurately, the Parties can agree “stipulate” to waive final disclosure by completing the Stipulation and Waiver of Final Disclosure form.

7. Importance of Full Disclosure

California law requires a complete and full disclosure of all assets and debts known to exist by each party. Failure to provide accurate and complete disclosure can lead to serious penalties such as court sanctions (fines), awards of attorney’s fees to the other party, and/or an award of a particular asset to the other party that you may have wanted to keep.

How to File Divorce in Roseville, California

The threshold question you must answer before filing for divorce in California’s cities of Roseville, Sacramento, etc., or counties throughout such as Placer, Yolo, Sacramento, El Dorado, is have you lived in California for 6 months and have you lived in the county where you are filing for three months. If the answer is “yes” then you will want to obtain the following forms:

1. Petition for Dissolution – FL 100

2. Summons (Family Law) — FL 110

3. If there are children involved you will also need to file a Declaration Under UCCJEA — FL 105.

It will also be necessary for you to check your court’s local rules to ensure that there are no “local forms” required. Some counties have “local forms” which are forms only used by that county which are generally used for some administrative process the court has.

Once you have completed all the requisite forms, it will be necessary to sign and date the forms. Once the forms are signed and dated you will want to copy them three times. Take the original and copies of all documents to your local courthouse for filing. There is a filing fee for filing for dissolution in California, therefore, you will want to either bring your checkbook or check with the court ahead of time to determine the exact fee that will be charged. Presently the fee is $435.00. This can be expensive for many people, therefore, depending on your income level you may want to fill out a request for a fee waiver and file that along with your dissolution paperwork. The fee waiver request must also be accompanied by an order on the request for fee waiver and you should have the original plus two copies in order to file the request.

Once you have accomplished the goal of filling for a dissolution, your spouse must be served personally. You cannot serve your spouse, a person over the age of 18 not a party to the action can serve your spouse. Once your spouse is served you will need to prepare a Proof of Service of Summons which needs to be completed and signed by the party who served the documents. The completed Proof of Service of Summons needs to be filed with the Court also — remember anything you take to court to file should be the original plus at least two copies.

This guide is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for seeking legal counsel. Dissolution in California is complex and seeking legal advice from divorce attorneys in Roseville, Sacramento, California, is recommended. This guide does not create an attorney client relationship. Call today 916/782-2737 to set up your consultation.