Why Mediation is a Great Alternative to a Courtroom Dissolution (Divorce) in California

There are many types of mediation.  This article discusses mediation as it relates to couples seeking an alternative to a courtroom (litigated) divorce.  The attorneys at The Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C., are trained in the art of negotiation and settlement which we use in our mediation practice.  If you would like to keep your dissolution in Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln, Placer County, El Dorado Hills, El Dorado County, Citrus Heights, Woodland, Yolo County, and other Northern California counties out of Court, mediation can be a great option.  During mediation neither party is represented by the mediator, the mediator is an attorney at The Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C. that acts a neutral third party.  The mediator assists the parties in coming to an agreement on issues such as asset and debt division, child support, spousal support, child custody and visitation.  The greatest feature of mediation is control — the parties are taking control of their future and making decisions for themselves rather than allowing a court to make decisions for their future.  Mediation is also a great way for parties to a divorce to save on attorney’s fees.  A mediated divorce is typically handled on what is called a flat fee basis, meaning there is no hourly charge and there is only one payment being made rather than two separate attorneys being hired by the parties.  The parties to a mediation are welcome to have any agreements reviewed by their own independent attorneys which is often much less than retaining an attorney for a litigated divorce.  The mediator attorneys at The Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C. will also prepare all paperwork necessary to complete the divorce.  If you are interested in setting an appointment to discuss mediation contact tThe Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C. at (916) 782-2737.


What is a Dissolution in California?

In California a dissolution is a divorce.  Parties looking to file for dissolution in California need to file in the county they have lived in for the past 6 months such as Sacramento County, Placer County, Solano County, Yolo County, El Dorado County, and Ventura County.  If you have not lived in California for 6 months or any particular county for 6 months then you will need to file for a legal separation and wait until you have resided in the state and/or county for 6 months to amend your pleading to a dissolution.  The Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C. can assist you in these matters.  Obtaining a dissolution of marriage in California can be a very complex process, legal representation is recommended.   Call The Carlisle Law Firm, A P.C. at (916) 782-2737 for a consultation.